Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Amor.


So. I got a tattoo. After years of planning, contemplating, debating, and saving money...I did it. I've been asked 3 questions consistently since I got the tattoo on Saturday evening, so I thought I'd answer them all here. Ready? Go.
#1. Did it hurt?
- Yes, you idiot. Of course it hurt. A man was jabbing a needle full of ink into my wrist. That being said, it wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected...and when he shaded it, it tickled.
#2. Do you regret it/ What about when you want to get a job and start a career?
-I've had a tattoo for less than a week. Of course I don't regret it. It wasn't a spontaneous action, and I've been hoping to get one for quite some time. As for the career question, I don't think this will affect my job selection in any way. I'm going to school for special education and Tesl, which means that ideally I'd end up teaching. For those of you who are still concerned, the tattoo can easily be covered with a bangle or long sleeves. However, lately I've been feeling as if my 'career plan' is a sign of my lack of trust in God. So here I am... Paying $27,000 a year for the schooling to become a teacher...wondering if I'll ever be a real teacher. I've had some pretty large revelations recently about this...so here they are. First off, I couldn't care less about 'career.' I care about following the path that my creator laid out for me before I was even born. I want to follow God, and I feel that more often than not career gets in the way of that. Second off, even if I become a teacher I don't want to go back to Pontiac and teach. I want to teach in another country. I want to see the World, live in it, experience it, etc. It sounds crazy to a lot of people, but I know that God's will for me isn't to stay here in America and live a comfortable life. No offense or disrespect to anyone who is doing just that. It's just not what we're all called to do. Lastly, I feel as if God may be calling me into missionary work. Whether that's through teaching or non-profit work, I haven't the slightest idea. But I'm really excited. God's awesome. His plan's better than mine could ever be. I need to live my life according to His plan. Not mine.
#3. Amor? What's that mean? Why?
- In case you can't read the tattoo, it says 'amor' on my wrist. In case you don't know, amor means love in spanish. It makes me laugh when people ask if it has anything to do with a boy. I usually smile and say, 'Yes. It has everything to do with a boy. Many boys actually. Most of them are 2 feet shorter than I am and live a thousand miles away. One even came over 2000 years before me and loves me more than anyone ever could.' So here's the deal. I went to Quito, Ecuador this summer and my life was completely changed. The people of Ecuador showed me the most beautiful love I've ever seen. Whether it was the wonderful and wise Margarita who cared for me while I was sick with the stomach flu, or 6th grade Danilo who wrote me a love note that spoke of how he loved me because I was a sister in Christ and shared in this beautiful faith. I was surrounded by people who had nothing, but would give everything. Looking back, I experienced a love that was the closest to Jesus' love that I've ever seen. That being said, my tattoo stands for two things. First, it's a constant reminder to pray for everyone I met in Ecuador. For the children - that they are safe, that they can overcome their situations and have the future they deserve. For the families- that they keep growing in their faith; that they accept Christ; that they begin to provide the lives they desperately want for their children. For Pity and Pancho and everyone affiliated with Amor y Esperanza - that their ministry will continue to flourish; that they can continue touching lives; that they spread even more of their beautiful love. Secondly, the tattoo reminds me to do everything in love. To take this beautiful love I saw and to make it my own. To spread this Christ-like love here. Every day. It's simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment